The current version of the nis-utils is:
The NIS+ Utilities are a collection of NIS+ administration and
testing tools. They contain: nisaddcred, nisaddent, niscat,
nischgrp, nischmod, nischown, nischttl, nisdefaults, niserror,
nisgrep, nisgrpadm, nisinit, nislog, nisls nismatch, nismkdir,
nispath, nisping, nisrm, nisrmdir, nisshowcache, nisstat,
nistbladm, nistest and nisupdkeys.
With this, Linux could act as full NIS+ client. The shadow support
from nispasswd is missing, but the other parts works. There is
is a first try to write a NIS+ Server from me, but the current
sources are in pre-alpha stage and doesn't work. It looks like there
will be never a NIS+ server for Linux.
Read the nis-utils NEWS and
ChangeLog file for more information.
Something from the TODO list:
- Test it much more.
- Write installation instructions for the various Linux Distributions
- Write test programs for the nis_* functions, check it with the
- Test the nis-utils, and compare it with the Solaris versions.
- Look at the NIS+ sources, to make it better and faster.
- Write more test programs for libnisdb.
- Rewrite basic libkey_common code.
- Continue work on rpc.nisd.
- Add YP compat mode for rpc.nisd.
- Translate all messages.
- Write missing man pages.
- keyserv V3 protocol for server and tools.
- Shadow feature for nispasswd and rpc.nispasswdd.
- rpc.nispasswdd: Check, if DES key is from same user.
- rpc.nispasswdd: Implement -g option.
- Write support for putting NIS+ servers into classes like
Solaris 2.6 and 7 has. (nisprefadm/nis_cachemgr)
- nisaddent support for the most maps are missing.
- nissetup and the other scripts needs more testing.
- nispopulate is missing.